Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My favourite TED talks - part 1

For a year now, I've been completely obsessed with TED.com. For a while I was content with just enjoying the videos myself, but recently I've been trying to share the magic with others as well. Hence this post. Here is the first part of a list of my favourite TED talks (in no particular order):

Craig Venter creating (synthetic) life. No big deal or anything.

David Deutsch on our place in the cosmos. This man just knows how to speak.

Hans Rosling and his statistics magic. There are several TED talks by Hans Rosling. This was the first one I saw by him and really gave me some perspective on global development.

Theo Jansen building beach "creatures". I can't really explain what makes this talk great, but it blew my mind.

Sixth Sense Technology. This talk aired in 2009. Why on earth can I not buy one of these at Best Buy yet?

Growing Organs. This one is a bit slow in the beginning, but well worth it once it shows you living heart cells being printed from a standard desktop printer (around 11 minutes in).

Looking Inside the Brain. I wonder about the potential of this technology. Perhaps there are certain things better left alone?

Better Animations. Any video game fan (and normal people as well, of course) will will enjoy this talk.

Amazing Inventions. The title says it all. This guy actually invented a device that allows you to "aim" sound. It will be interesting to see what this does to the headphone industry.

Silk. Who would've thought silk was this cool!

Feel free to suggest any talks I may have missed, but know that there will be many more parts to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment